Sunday, January 15, 2006

Train to Wellington






Most of these pics are self explanatory. The mountain is Ruapehu, an active volcano in the Tongariro National Park. Seeing it was special for me, because I taught lessons about its last eruption in 1995 to my Year 10's this year, all based on what I had read. It makes it easier to talk about something when you have more experience of it. Now I have my own pictures to add to next year's lesson.
After we passed Ruapehu we followed a river that had cut its way deeply through the rock and made a gorge. Stuart fell asleep at this point!
The train was older and more rattly than I had expected. The views were exceptional, but for a long way the train could only travel at 40km/h which added an extra hour to the 12 hour journey. On the upside, the buffet car was selling decent food and at quite a reasonable price (e.g. chicken curry for $6, a hot drink for $2) we spent a small fortune on refreshments but would have needed a second mortgage to buy the same stuff on a UK train. We could also get off and stretch our legs about 4 times on the journey.

No comments:

Locations of visitors to this page